Tuesday 8 February 2011

FINAL PIECE / EVALUATION





Overall I have found this print process very interesting but at the same time extremely time consuming. I found a lot of time was wasted waiting for the screen to dry after each print [if I wanted to change the colour of my print]. I found my hand drawn image didn't work as well as expected as I didn't have a clean and tidy image as I wanted, even though this did come out quite effective leaving a vintage/antique element. I did find this process reasonably easy to produce, once I had created one print it was easier to produce several more. If I were to use this process again I would draw a simpler, easier design on thick white paper, so that when scanned and printed onto acetate there wouldn't be as much dirty marks or speckled dots surrounding my image, the thick paper would have trapped dirt marks from the scanner also. However I feel you learn these mistakes from making them. I did enjoy choosing paint which I felt would work effectively with my nature theme however, and it was an enjoyable process as a whole. I took health and safety into consideration at all times when using this print room, as well as my how to list which enabled me to instruct myself what to do next, [as I hadn't used this process before]. I feel my final piece shows the beautiful detail at its best, the colour is extremely attractive and would grab viewers attention, the colour reminded me of flowers in bloom [where butterflies would be noticed more often] so it did link in with the image itself. I personally believe that this final print was produced at the highest quality with the correct amount of ink, as found in my experiments too much paint would cause blobs of  colour however too less and the image wouldn't show. I felt my final piece showed detail effectively, especially with the middle butterfly as I encountered many problems with this particular image where the paint would seep through the pattern, this was probably because of the speckled dots gathering together in the white areas. I felt this experience has been fun but stressful, waiting for the image to dry took its toll, especially as I had a small time consumption to produce this work. As you can see I produced my final piece on calico fabric, this really added to the vintage/organic feel I wanted to betray throughout my work as well as the distressed aspects where the butterfly looks as though its faded. I felt I could have experimented more, producing experiments using different materials and other colours, perhaps mixing colours together to create unusual unexpected shades [like my brown and pink experiment], however it is something to consider for future reference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment